Reflections on Art and Life
Who Can Commission New Music?
– An artist seeking to expand his or her repertoire
– An ensemble seeking a fresh way to define their style
– A choreographer, filmmaker, or visual artist wanting to add the aural dimension to their creative project
– An organization to celebrate community’s landmark
– A patron to honor an important family or social event
– A consortium of ensembles to bring a larger work to life at a shared expense
Why Not Simply Use Existing Music?
– Because its style, duration, and instrumentation have been tailored to someone else’s project or needs
– Because our generation has a responsibility to create our own legacy and to speak with our own voice. We don’t want to endlessly remake old movies or play Vivaldi’s Four Seasons
– Because cliché choices of preexisting music often break an otherwise compelling project
What Do You Get Out of Commissioning New Music?
Read more here.